american lit

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

mules and men

I really enjoyed reading this book. I love the language, the stories, and the interplay between the characters. I loved the story about the flood, where John is telling everyone about how horrible the flood was, and then he tells Moses. I love the dry, sarcastic sense of humor in all of their 'tales'. It also challenges your knowledge of the bible as well. Sometimes I had to think hard to remember who some of the characters were that they were talking about. Zora did a wonderful job setting the scene in which they were telling the story as well. It added a lot to the stories when she explained where they all were, and a little of the back stories behind the people who were telling the stories. Although it took me a little while to understand some of the translations, which made it a little difficult to follow the stories at first, afterwards I found myself knowing exactly what they were talking about, and being 'carried away' to the south, and the places that she was talking about.

"I had known about the capers Brer Rabbit is apt to cut and what the Squinch Owl says from the house top. But it was fitting me like a tight chemise. I couldn't see if for wearing it. It was only when I was off in college, away from my native surroundings, that I could see myself like somebody else and stand off and look at my garment" (pg xvii). When I first read this I didn't really think anything of it, but after reading it again, and really thinking about what she said, I completely understand what she was saying. Moving from Washington to Montana didn't really seem like a very big deal, until my family left me, and I had to start meeting new people. It didn't seem like there would really be any difference between myself and the local Bozemanites, until I realized that it is a completely different place over here. So many things are different, and I truly started to see the way in which I was raised, and the things that were important to me and my family. From small things like growing up watch The Muppets, to bigger things like traditions and daily routines, everything is different over here. I can truly appreciate what Zora was saying. When you live something everyday, you tend to take it for granted, but once it is taken away from you, you start to really see it for what it is, and appreciate it. Taking this knowledge into my reading of the novel, it added so much more than just the stories. I feel a close connection to this novel, and I think that it may be one of the best that I've ever read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home